Vivian Leva & Riley Calcagno
The Americana Song Academy inspires people to believe in their creativity and helps develop a community that supports that pursuit.
- This immersive experience will offer master classes on songwriting from professional musicians, 1:1 mentor sessions or small breakout sessions from support staff, intimate song circles and creative and emotional support from our academy staff.
- Participants deeply engage and nurture their music, songs, and aspirations. Private concerts, open mics and mentor sessions are all part of the experience.
“The Americana Song Academy brought me back to life, artistically… it rekindled the fire I had been looking for for a long time”
– Catie Curtis, touring professional singer-songwriter
Q: What does it cost to attend Americana Song Academy?
A: Camp tuition is $700 includes all instruction, meals and snacks. Plus ability to camp onsite in a tent or small RV. Porta-johns and a handwashing station will be provided.
Q: Is there a minimum age to participate?
A: Yes, participants must be at least 18 years old, unless they are part of the Sisters High School Americana Project and are personally invited to attend.
Q: Where can I stay?
A: On site camping at House On Metolius in tents, RVs, and sprinter vans will be permitted. This will be dry camping with porta-potties, a wash station, and potable water. Song campers may also elect to stay in lodging in town or at Black Butte Ranch. There are also a couple of privately-owned RV campgrounds in Camp Sherman with full hookups.
Details will be sent to all campers by the end of August and we will accommodate those registered for camp. Please be patient as we work out the details. Thank you.
Q: Where is camp located?
A: House on Metolius, NF-980, Camp Sherman, Oregon 97739 (www.metolius.com)
Q: What if I have dietary restrictions? Can I bring my own food?
A: Our camp caterer is excellent and can accommodate most dietary needs. All food is fresh, healthy and prepared on site. Many longtime campers have dubbed ASA “Food Camp with Music! There’s a food questionnaire on the online registration form.
Q: Can I bring my child or spouse/partner to House on Metolius with me if they are not participating in camp?
A: Sorry, only confirmed registrants are permitted on the campus during Song Academy.
Q: Can I bring my dog?
A: We welcome trained service animals but — due to liability issues — pets are not allowed.
Q: Can my family come with me even if they’re not attending camp?
A: Only registered campers are permitted on the campus, but your family would likely enjoy camping and hanging out in the beautiful Camp Sherman area.
Q: Can I reserve a one-on-one session with a specific instructor?
A:We generally provide one mentor session per day for each camper, and sign-ups are held during camp for mentor sessions. Most instructors are available throughout camp as well.
Q: What time can I arrive?
A: Academy registration begins at 9 a.m. Monday, September 26. Please plan on arriving promptly. There is no camping or RV parking available on campus prior to Monday morning. Official activities get underway at 10:00 AM.
Q: What time does camp start and end?
A: The first gathering is at 10 a.m. on Monday, September 26 and the Academy concludes at 10 a.m. on Thursday morning, September 29.
Q: Where do I stay after Camp, if I want to go to the Festival?
A: We encourage you to check out our Where To Stay page (https://sistersfolkfestival.org/where-to-stay/) for lodging recommendations call the Sisters Area Chamber of Commerce at (541) 549-0251. There are numerous vacation rentals in Sisters through Air BnB, VRBO, Vacasa, etc. We strongly encourage campers to investigate those options well in advance, as accommodations sell out early for the festival.
Q: Can I get a discount on a festival ticket?
A: Yes! In fact, each ASA attendee can purchase up to two admission passes to the 2022 festival at a $25 discount, while supplies last. Promo codes will be emailed from Afton ticketing once you register for ASA.
Q: What’s the ASA refund policy?
A: Refund less $50 fee through 7/31/22. Refund less $150 fee through 8/31/22. No refunds after 8/31/22.
What to bring:
- There is slow WiFi access and spotty cell service at our 2022 location. Please plan to unplug and enjoy nature while you are at Song Academy!
- Suitable Clothing – Central Oregon can be chilly at night, and quite warm during the day
- Reusable water bottle and/or thermos
- Instrument(s) – whatever you choose to play and compose on
- Medications (EMT on-site)
- Sunscreen, insect repellent, sunglasses
- Flyfishing gear if you’re into it
- Daypack and hiking shoes to enjoy the trails on the property
For questions contact:
- Brad Tisdel – Creative Director ([email protected])